Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Birthday.

May 20, 2011 at 3:50 P.M. With the destruction of my home computer, attacks against these writings and their defacements become more difficult for me to correct from public computers. I will do my best to repair damaged texts as quickly as possible. "The purpose of torture is torture."
August 24, 2009 at 10:09 A.M. "Errors" inserted and corrected.

May 24, if I remember correctly, is a special day for a fascinating person. It is one of many birthdays that we'll celebrate, together. My book of quotations contains this gem from Cyril Connolly: "We are all serving a life-sentence in the dungeon of self."
If this statement is true, then all happiness and achievement in life will depend on our "cell-mates." I am fortunate that among those few persons who are part of my thoughts and feelings on an hourly, even minute-by-minute basis, I can include you -- if you'll allow it.
Here's a little something for you to keep me in your heart and mind today:
Heart of a heartless world,
Dear heart, the thought of you
Is the pain at my side,
The shadow that chills my view.
The wind rises in the evening,
Reminds that Autumn is near.
I am afraid to lose you,
I am afraid of my fear.
On the last mile to Huesca,
The last fence for our pride,
Think so kindly, dear,
that I Sense you at my side.
And if bad luck should lay my strength Into the shallow grave,
Remember all the good you can;
Don't forget my love. -- John Cornford.
The little love-god, lying once asleep,
Laid by his side his heart-inflaming brand,
Whilst many nymphs that vowed chaste life to keep
Came tripping by; but in her maiden hand
The fairest votary took up that fire,
Which many legions of true hearts had warmed;
And so the general of hot desire
Was, sleeping, by a virgin hand disarmed.
This brand she quenched in a cool well by,
Which from love's fire took heat perpetual,
Growing a bath and healthful remedy For men diseased;
but I, my mistress' thrall, Came here for cure, and by this that I prove:
Love's fire heats water; water cools not love.
-- William Shakespeare.
No, William, water cools not love -- nor sluttish time neither! ... Soon. Always. (William may have had a dose of the clap or something worse. Happily, I am healthy as can be and frisky as a lynx!)
Happy birthday, Gemini!